Saturday, February 26, 2011

Getting started

  Early March, 2010. Lori calls me into the living room. She's sitting at the computer, and asks "What do you think of this?" On the screen is a Craigslist ad for a 1942 Buick project car. It's very rare, it's rough, and it's COOOL!

  "Not bad. Rough, but workable."

  "Would you enjoy buiulding a car like this as a custom?"

  "Yeah"

  "Call the guy."

  I looked at her quizzically. That's when she told me the plan that she and Leigha had been cooking up. Back in the fall, they'd started swiping the change jars around the house as they filled. They'd also overwrite checks at the grocery for ten or twenty bucks here and there. The plan was to keep saving until Father's Day, and give me the cash with the directive to get a project car. The Buick catching Lori's eye forced their hand a bit early. They handed me an envelope full of cash and said "Happy Father's Day. Call the guy."

  Well, as it happened, the seller of the Buick was a flakejob. Then again, the ad WAS on Craigslist, so that shouldn't be a big surprise. (It's a proven fact that 90% of the people you deal with through Craigslist are either insane or a blithering idiots) From the way the guy mumbled around, I think he had a potential buyer already. He wasn't terribly coherent in his speech. Whatever his reason was, he didn't seem too interested in selling me the car. Buick or not, my directive was clear: The girls wanted me to have a project car, and had worked to make it happen. The search was on!

No comments:

Post a Comment